Oral hygiene is key to a healthy mouth, fresh breath and the confidence to eat anything without pain.
Good habits for great teeth
One of the best habits to develop is having a regular dental hygienist appointment. For most people appointments with the hygienist several times a year are the best way to keep teeth and gums in perfect health. Your dental hygienist doesn’t just clean your teeth and remove plaque or tartar, they polish your teeth to give you the best possible smile. They can also advise you on how to clean your teeth and care for your gums, giving oral hygiene tips that will help you maintain that squeaky clean look and feeling. Our dental hygienists at London-based Alkali Dental Studios are committed to helping you care for your own dental hygiene at home.
Gum disease, plaque and tartar
Gum disease, also known as periodontal disease, is the result of bacteria in plaque which attack the tissues of the gum, causing infection or inflammation. This can lead to bad breath, bleeding gums, a high degree of sensitivity around the gums and even to tooth loss. Gum disease can be treated by your dentist but prevention is the best route.
Plaque is a combination of bacteria, food and saliva – it forms as a soft white coating on the teeth close to the gums. Plaque can lead to gum disease but is easy to remove with good habits of teeth brushing and dental care.
Tartar is calcified plaque, and can be prevented by not allowing plaque to harden on the teeth. If you already have tartar, your dentist or dental hygienist can remove it with special instruments and teach you how to avoid tartar build up in future with good hygiene tips.
Dental care at home
To avoid tooth decay it’s vital to clean your teeth regularly and also to clean between teeth to avoid the buildup of plaque and bacteria that can cause gum disease and eventually lead to tooth decay. This in turn causes caries in the teeth that must be filled or, in the worst case scenario, lead to a dental extraction.
Our tips for perfect dental care are:
1. Brushing your teeth twice a day ensures maximum dental health
2. Cleaning between your teeth daily after brushing helps prevent gum disease – at Alkali Dental Studios all our dentists and dental hygienists advise you on the best interdental cleaning system for you
3. Using an antiseptic toothbrush every day guarantees clean teeth and gums
4. Replacing your toothbrush every three or four months ensures it is in the best shape to clean your teeth thoroughly – ideally invest in an electric toothbrush with rotation-oscillation for maximum plaque removal
5. Limiting the acid in your diet that can harm teeth is a major contribution to a healthy mouth: acid containing foods include fizzy drinks (even fizzy water) and fruit juices
6. Avoiding sugar and sugary foods is good for your teeth and your waistline
7. Chewing sugar-free gum after eating is a good way to reduce the effects of acid and sugar – the saliva produced by chewing flushes away harmful substances.