Tooth be told, there is a lot of misinformation and misunderstanding surrounding our teeth. Whether it be what stands as proper dental care, or what reasons we should seek dental professionals out for, there are things many of us believe that have dentists concerned.
Today, Alkali Dental Studios are bringing us their five popular dental myths to debunk:
- “Teeth whitening is harmful” – there’s no reason to lose colour when you think of teeth whitening services as there’s nothing to fret about. All teeth whitening treatments provided by your dentist have been assessed and many professionals can attest to them.
- “You can’t go to the dentist while pregnant” – not only is visiting your dentist for a routine check-up safe, it’s vital! Cleanings and simple procedures, like cavity fillings, can be taken care of before your baby is born. There’s absolutely nothing to worry about – your dentist can even help alleviate certain pregnancy symptoms.
- “You don’t need to floss if you brush” – you can’t have one without the other. If you don’t floss, you run the risk of increased gum disease, dental plaque build-up, and cavities. Brushing only cleans the visible parts of your teeth, so make sure to floss to tackle those behind-the-scenes areas.
- “If my teeth don’t hurt, they’re healthy” – often, conditions such as tooth decay don’t exhibit explicit symptoms until it’s already quite advanced. Dental professionals can spy the earlier symptoms that, while they’re not causing you pain, can eventually develop into something rather painful. Ouch.
- “Sugar-free soda is okay to drink” – although they may contain low to no levels of sugar, many fizzy drinks contain high-levels of citric, carbonic, or phosphoric acid that can erode the surface of teeth enamel.