As with most things medical, prevention is worth far more than a cure. So for your teeth that could mean visiting a dentist every 6 months – having regular check-ups makes sure that you won’t suffer too many dental problems in the future.
Did you know: To keep your teeth in tip top condition, most practitioners advise that you should book a dental appointment at least twice a year?
A check-up gives your dentist the chance to see if you have any dental problems and it helps keep your mouth clean and healthy into the bargain. Regular visits also give you a chance to ask any questions if something about your teeth is worrying you. Leaving dental problems untreated can make effective treatment in the future a lot more difficult, so it makes sense to practice a little prevention now and then.
If you want to hang onto your teeth and not suffer the pain of more invasive dental treatment because of things like tooth loss caused by decay and gum disease. When you visit us at the Alkali Dental Studio in Putney, London, we’ll take a very close look at your oral health care.
This is what you can expect from a typical dental check-up:
- The dentist is the one to perform the dental examination. The hygienist first undertakes an oral exam of your gums and teeth, jotting down notes about your general health and whether you are taking any medication. They will also clean and polish your teeth and talk over the best ways to care for them and your gums as well as answer all your questions. The dentist will also conduct an oral exam, looking for more obvious signs of diseases, diagnose any oral health problems and make any treatment recommendations.
- Professional cleaning is different from the tooth brushing and flossing that you do at home. Of course that helps remove plaque and keep your teeth in good condition, but a professional clean, provided by your dentist or hygienist, gives a deeper clean and can remove the plaque called calculus or tartar that has hardened too much and built up on your teeth. There are a variety of instruments that the hygienist can use in cleaning your teeth including ultrasonic scalers which can help clean below the gum line.
- Polishing is another important part of your regular hygiene appointment that your dentist or hygienist will provide, helping to remove residual plaque and stains. The polish normally contains an abrasive substance mixed with fluoride and is administered by a small, rotating rubber cup or dental brush.
- After examining and cleaning your teeth, your dental hygienist at Alkali Dental Studios in Putney may well give you instructions for you to follow at home. It’s also a good time to ask your hygienist or dentist about your brushing or flossing technique or any other general oral health care questions.
- Depending on the state of your teeth and your dental history, the dentist may well take x-rays of your teeth and gums to see if there are any underlying problems, particularly if you are at risk of developing cavities. If there are any oral health problems found during the check-up examination, your dentist will make some more recommendations and put together a treatment plan.
Seeing your dentist every six months is a chance to make sure your teeth are in good health with a professional examination and cleaning by a qualified hygienist. If you see your dentist on a regular basis and practice a good oral hygiene regime at home, you greatly increase the likelihood of maintaining strong teeth and healthy gums.
On the other hand, putting off that dental appointment means that you could be developing dental problems that, if untreated, could lead to gum disease, tooth decay and eventually tooth loss.
If you want to start with regular dental check-ups then call our friendly team at Alkali Dental Studio in Putney, London, and schedule your first appointment today for a brighter, healthier smile.